I like games... and tattoos. Yes, those.

Sunday, June 3, 2012

Sorcery

I've been playing Sorcery off an on over the past couple of days. It was a game that originally lay on my "to play" pile for about a week, not because I wasn't interested, but rather because I just didn't quite get there.

And so finally, I managed to get around to not just playing through the first level, but actually getting to grips with the game and delving a little deeper.

Sadly though I'm not convinced this game is quite as good as it could have been. It has a very Harry Potter flavour to it, and after seeing the mistakes made here, I'm hoping that the developers of the upcoming Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows game will learn from Sorcery.

That said, Sorcery is probably one of the best Move games on the market at the moment, considering that most of them generally consist of fitness games.


Sorcery tells the story of a magicians apprentice (where have we heard this one before) who unleashes a whole lotta evil on the world when he accidentally breaks an enchantment that he really shouldn't have meddled with in the first place.

What follows is the story of how Finn (that's you) must master his power and save his homeland from the evil Queen of Faerie. Somewhat predictable story, but no more so than pretty much every other fantasy "I'm a wizard" tale that's out there at the moment.

In case you couldn't guess by the characters names (Finn, Erline, Dash and Lady Everfair) the world is based on that of Irish mythology, and features a full cast of trolls, goblins, the undead and will 'o' the wisps.


Visually the cutscenes of Sorcery have a pretty awesome appeal, as they are rather like shadow puppets in nature, and the style of the gameplay is rather... nice. 

Much as I hate that word, I really can't say much more than that. It's ok, but it certainly didn't blow me away. It's pretty enough, but in the same manner as the most games nowadays.

The level design is also a bit of a let down. Whilst there are "secret" (I use this term loosely) areas to be discovered, you figure out very early on that the will 'o' wisps will lead you there so they're not really all that secret in the end. 

Overall you really are just proceeding from area to area, getting rid of enemies as you go and this can become somewhat tedious.

Now down to the big question - why the Playstation Move? 

Is it a novelty? Yes. 

Is it essential to the gameplay? I didn't think so. 

Is it intuitive? Definitely not!

Sure you might feel a bit more like a wizard waving a glowing wand about, but the process of moving and targeting enemies with your wand is clumsy and uncomfortable, and I didn't think too much was added to the game with this feature, other than my somewhat sore arm muscles after waving the Move around for a few hours.

The process of turning a key in a lock requires you to wiggle the Move around uncomfortably trying to get it to register, but mixing and drinking potions isn't overly awkward, although trying to do this during combat can be a little disconcerting.

Overall, if you're a parent you might want to go out and buy Sorcery for your kids as it's a decent enough story with less violence in it than many games, but honestly I don't think they'll get a whole lot of replay value out of it.


As someone who is rather fond of magic and monsters, I thought Sorcery had potential but sadly ended up a bit lacklustre overall. 


No comments:

Post a Comment